Science is for those who learn; poetry, for those who know. — Joseph Roux, Meditations of a Parish Priest
~~
To be a poet is a condition, not a profession. — Robert Frost
~~
Everything one invents is true, you may be perfectly sure of that. Poetry is as precise as geometry. — Gustave Flaubert

Monday, August 10, 2009

~ Ocean ~

A world of salty liquid incubating life's diversity.
Many species, some yet to be discovered, swim and dance in her depths.
The bloodstream and life force is flowing currents of temperature extremes.
Her heartbeat is captured in the symphony of whale and dolphin songs.
Their sweet melodies vibrate and bounce across her rocky cavities.
*
She's cold and crushing at her deepest, yet her mystery comes alive.
In her deepness live the rule breakers, so delicate and luminous.
Her inner fire and anger agitates as she transforms through time.
Inner strength, inner shell, much of which no man will ever see or touch.
Victims of explorations, undiscovered secrets we've yet to find.
*
Her body heat fuels life's tempests, but she'll take the wind out of your sails.
Her pulse is the schools of life that migrate and toothed warriors on patrol.
Wisdom she's acquired is shared by the great sage of the sea, the whale.
She talks to us in the rolls of the waves, kisses us with salty spray.
Her heavenly body beckons the moon who tunes her tides without fail.
*
Taking the notion, waves lap at your feet...warm, wet sand between your toes.
Edge of something huge...connected...this continent, you, and the ocean.
~
© Bobbie Sandlin
~



One Single Impression: Ocean Tried something a little different. This is in American Sentence style, though not perfect lol. 17 syllables per line. It took a while with it, but this was fun.

14 comments:

anthonynorth said...

You've captured the ocean perfectly here.

floreta said...

i love how you end it. this vastness full of mysteries!

Kat Mortensen said...

This: Her body heat fuels life's tempests, but she'll take the wind out of your sails", and this: "taking the notion" are particular genius.

Kat

poefusion said...

This is an excellent American Sentence poem. You captured the ocean true. Well done. Have a great night.

Sherri B. said...

The ocean has such power, and you've captured that very eloquently. Lovely poem!

Tumblewords: said...

Interesting use of American Sentences. This works very well - I like the final sentence - the connection, the connection! :)

Tammie Lee said...

gosh that form of poem must have been a challenge and you have met it masterfully. Such a wonderful portrait you have painted of ocean life.

Jim said...

Hi Bobbie, I can tell you worked hard on this (or does it come natural for you).
Thank you for telling of your form, the American Sentence poem. I should study those. I had been counting syllables, it was looking good!
My favorite lines are
"Inner strength, inner shell, much of which no man will ever see or touch.
Victims of explorations, undiscovered secrets we've yet to find."
Right away I was thinking of my seventeen years of NASA engineering eperience with our space exploration. I have often thought of going down too instead of up. Up is almost infinite (it might as well be for man) while down is very finite.
Then I was thinking of the diving robotic vehicles, etc.
..
BTW, I have been doing a lot in syllabic form lately, either seven or nine syllables. Eights seem easier. The nine break down into four and five per line.
I tag them as 'syllabic form,' my ocean post is nine, four plus five.
Not many have picked up on that, I must need to improve.
Thank you again, I am learning. I hope.
..

lissa said...

there is a vastness, a great body of meanings in this piece and I like the format, I like this particular line - Her heavenly body beckons the moon who tunes her tides without fail." - makes me wonder how different the world would be if there's only the ocean

Bobbie Sandlin said...

@ Everyone: Thank you so much! I'd go through and individually address everyone, but for the sake of time, please each of you accept my thanks. ♥ I'm always so humbled and love that people enjoy my poetry.

~Poetikat: I'm glad you like that line!

~Jim: Wow! Thank you for sharing that! You worked for NASA?? *starry eyes and swooning here* lol!! I've always thought that space may be the final frontier, but the ocean is our undiscovered mysteries. * I'm enjoying the syllabic writing very much. My daughter kept asking me if I was doing Math as I sat here counting out the word syllables on my hands lol. I enjoy it though, it's a fun challenge!

zoya gautam said...

so good to read..well done !..

Bobbie Sandlin said...

@ Zoya: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading it.

one more believer said...

standing at the shore taking all that is there in those soft waves at my feet... beautiful...

SandyCarlson said...

Beautiful. I often wonder when I am at the beach about the other lives the same water has touched.

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Constant Current ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com Blogger Styles

TOP